Akash N. Patel,
MBBS, DA, PGDHHM, PGDMLS
Associate Professor and Acting Chair Pre-clinical Medicine | CS-3 Course Director | SP Program Chair | BLS Instructor
Dr Patel started his career as a clinician by gaining admission to the undergraduate medical program at M.S. University, Baroda in 1994. He completed his MBBS in July 2000 and trained as an anesthesiologist and critical care specialist at S. P. University, Anand in 2004. After completing his postgraduation program in 2004, Dr. Patel started in clinical practice as a consultant anesthesiologist in his hometown Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
He has been involved in academics since 2007 and served as an assistant professor at M. B. Patel Cardiology Center, Shree Krishna Hospital, Anand, Gujarat. He used to teach lifesaving procedures (gold standards of CPCR and intubation, temporary pace-maker insertion etc.) in Cath-lab and ICCU (principles of critical care like ventilator management) to internal medicine residence and in-house medical officers. He was also involved in delivering basic science lectures (examination skills, basic ward procedures like venepuncture, Foley’s catheter and feeding tube insertion etc.) to undergraduate students, interns and nursing students, who came on rotation to the cardiology department.
Dr Patel became an associate professor in 2010 and was promoted to professor and deputy medical superintendent and head of the cardiology department in 2013. In 2017 he completed a postgraduate diploma in hospital and health management and a postgraduate diploma in medico legal systems in India from Symbiosis University.
Dr Patel joined Medical University of Americas in January 2019 as an associate professor in the pre-clinical department, and was promoted to course director for Clinical Skills 3 course in April 2019. He became the acting chair for the pre-clinical department and chair for the SP program in September 2019 and January 2020 respectively.
At present, he is involved in teaching Clinical Skills (cardiology, male GU, HEENT), System & Disease lectures on the Endocrine System and almost all clinical lab sessions throughout all semesters of the basic sciences program.
He has also been a BLS instructor since March 2019, and loves to teach basic cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
He is very enthusiastic about conducting different type of workshops after school hours like airway management, lumber puncture, EKG, sterile field and bleeding control in the operating room, pre-op and post-op care, and suturing etc.
At present, he is perusing ‘Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE)’ with Society for Simulation in Healthcare.
Dr Patel has excellent professional, communication and interpersonal skills, some of the skills he possesses are:
- Strong teamwork and leadership skills
- Hard-working and dedicated work ethic
- Strategic problem-solving abilities
- Well-versed with computer and IT applications
Pre-clinical Medicine and System & Disease
Dr Patel is a consultant anesthesiologist with wide experience of working with a multi-disciplinary operative procedures, clinical research, and medical education. Dr Patel used to provide anesthesia care in various surgeries including:
- Laparoscopic and general surgeries
- Orthopaedic and spine surgeries
- Gynecological & obstetric surgeries
- Pediatric surgeries
- Ambulatory anesthesia
He also worked as the principal investigator in Synchron Clinical Research Organization which involved:
- Preparing and reviewing study protocols
- Staff training
- Preparing and reviewing safety standards and specifications
- Preparing informed written consent
- Supervising dosing activities of drugs
- Performing clinical monitoring as well as administering treatment for complications and managing adverse events
- Maintaining essential documents
Best Rotary member 2015, for undertaking a social service by arranging multiple health check-up camps and distribution of medicines.
Very much interested in simulation programs to decrease the errors in clinical practice
- ASHRAYCON 2013
- India Society of Anesthesiologist Conference (ISACON) 2011
- Cardio-Pulmonary-Cerebral Resuscitation (CPCR) update 2011
- Non-obstetrics emergencies in obstetrics patients 2010
- Various trauma management in natural disasters: role of anesthetist 2009
- India Society of Anesthesiologist Conference (ISACON) 2008
- Emergency medicine 2006