Assistant Professor of Clinical Skills, Course Director (CS II)
Dr Ila Chauhan is a clinician with extensive years of experience, both in teaching and in practice.
She served as a short service commissioned officer in the Army Medical Corps of India after completing M.B.B.S., caring for service personnel and their families. Thereafter she trained as a radiation oncologist, completing her residency in Tamil Nadu, India, with a subsequent senior residency at JIPMER, one of the premier teaching hospitals in India. As a radiation oncologist, her primary interest lay in the various modalities of treatments of breast and cervical cancers. She later worked for the Ex-servicemen Comprehensive Health Services of India which cares for veterans of Indian Armed forces and their families.
She first came to the Caribbean in 2012, joining Medical University of Americas, Nevis, as an assistant professor in pre-clinical sciences and was involved in teaching the ICM and FCM courses for all basic science semesters in the discipline-based curriculum. She briefly went back to her home country in 2014 where she worked as resident medical officer at the Jain International Residential School in Bengaluru.
She returned to teaching in the Caribbean and joined MUA again in 2016. She has been teaching the integrated curriculum in the Clinical Skills and Medicine courses in most semesters. She is also the course director of the CS-II course and a member of the research committee. She is an RLRA mentor and a BLS course instructor for Med 5. Dr Chauhan believes that a strong foundation in clinical skills is essential for a successful and fulfilling career in medicine. Her teaching methods stress hands-on training and practice with a focus on application along with technological integration.
- MBBS: Coimbatore Medical College in Coimbatore, India
- DNB (Radiation Oncology): GKN Memorial Hospital in Coimbatore, India
- Clinical Skills II
- Tulasi, N. R., John, A., Chauhan, I., Nagarajan, V., & Geetha, G. (2004). Lymphangioma circumscriptum. International journal of gynecological cancer: official journal of the International Gynecological Cancer Society, 14(3), 564–566. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1048-891x.2004.014323.x
- G. Govindarajulu, V. Nagarajan, N.R. Tulasi, Ila Chauhan, Breast cancer awareness and screening — Where do we stand? A pilot trial — VN Cancer Centre, Coimbatore, India, The Breast, Volume 12, Supplement 1, 2003, Pages S19-S20, ISSN 0960-9776, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-9776(03)80051-6.
- Breast cancer
- Cervical cancer
- XVII AROI Conference at Cancer Institute (W.I.A.) Adyar, Chennai, presented a paper on ‘Breast Cancer Screening and Awareness – Where Do We Stand’
Recently attended conferences:
- World Sepsis Congress Spotlight: Sepsis, Pandemics and Antimicrobial Resistance – Global Health Threats of the 21st Century on 09 Sep 2020
- "Alive Sepsis Course" held at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Auditorium., Barbados on 28 and 29 February 2020
- International CME on Breast and Uropathology, organized by Department of Pathology, Prince Aly Khan Hospital, Mazagaon, Mumbai on 20 December 2017