Mamata Srinivasan, MBBS, MS
Professor of Histology & Cell Biology, Course Director (HHP), Chair (Anatomical Sciences)
Dr Mamata Srinivasan, Professor of Histology and Cell Biology, joined MUA, Nevis, in May 2007, to teach histology, cell and molecular biology and embryology. She is the Chair for the Department of Anatomical Sciences and the Course Director for the Evolving Histology, Cell Biology and Current Human Histology and Physiology course.
Dr Srinivasan also serves on various committees at MUA and has been involved in curriculum development and supporting the students both in academics and on a personal and social front. Prior to her joining MUA, Dr Srinivasan served as associate professor at the Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, for seven years where she was extensively involved in teaching the medical, dental and allied health graduate and postgraduate courses, and also worked on molecular aspects of genes in cancer genomics at the Centre for Molecular and Cellular Biology Lab.
Her residency at JIPMER, Puducherry, India kindled her interest in the field of genetics where she worked on the genetic aspects of chromosomal disorders and had her training in diagnostic karyotyping, cell culture and molecular techniques which furthered her research at KMC, Manipal, Karnataka, India. Having been a university professor for more than two decades, she has aided the student community not only with knowledge but also in other aspects of their careers and personality development by acting as a mentor. Dr Srinivasan has presented papers related to gross anatomy, histology, embryology, genetics, pathology, molecular biology, cancer and pharmacogenomics at medical and biotechnology conferences.
Dr Srinivasan’s research interests include histology and correlated cell and molecular biology, integrated with pathophysiology which is the basis for the clinical evaluation and treatment management. She is also interested in affective factors in cognition learning in students as well as imparting training to medical students’ to help them develop crucial professional values and qualities required for patient care.
Faculty Mentor for the American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA), Nevis chapter. Interested in furthering medical education research to foster professional values into medical students.
- MBBS, Karnatak Medical College, Karnataka, India.
- MS, (Master of Surgery, Residency in Anatomical Sciences), Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Puducherry, India.
- Human Histology & Physiology
- Systems & Disease I, II, II and IV
- Foundations of Clinical Medicine
- Histology and Cell Biology
- Molecular biology
- Gross anatomy
- Medical Education
- Teaching excellence award 2011 (MUA, Nevis)
- 1st Place Oral Presentation: Dr. Mamata Srinivasan, BRAF and P16 INK4a gene alteration in oral cancer. Research in Current Health Issues Presented at MUA, November 2009.
- Manipal Foundation- Manipal Faculty Ph.D. Study Fellowship 2003 and 2004 (Rs.75, 000/- annually)
- Lobo SW, Menezes RG, Mamata S et.al. Ectopic partial intrahepatic gall bladder with cholelithiasis-a rare anomaly. [Journal Article] Nepal Med Coll J 2007 Dec; 9(4):286-8.
- J. Anat. Soc. India 51(1) 97-142 (2002) ‘ Partial XY sex reversal associated with terminal deletion 10q-A case report. Mamata M.B., Kaur *, Rao RR (Abst)
- J. Anat. Soc. India 51(1) 97-142 (2002) Rare Variation In The Origin Of Profunda Brachii Artery Sithara N.P., Mamata M.B., (Abst)
Medical education; microanatomy with emphasis on clinical and molecular techniques; curriculm designing via self-regulated learning process; marine microenvironment and biodiversity and its implications on human disease treatment.
Delivered a Talk on ‘Pharmacogenomics of Leukemia’ at a National Seminar on “RECENT TRENDS IN PHARMACOGENOMICS” organized by College of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Department of Biotechnology, MAHE, Manipal from 11th to 13th November 2002.
- IX Congress of Asia Pacific Association of Societies of Pathologists (APASP) and Vth Conference of Association of clinical Pathologists of Nepal (ACPN) Khatmandu, Nepal, from 24th-26th November 2005. - Presented a scientific paper entitled “Alteration In Braf And P16 INK4A Genes In Oral Cancer”
- ‘Indo-Australian conference on Biotechnology in Medicine’ at Indian Institute of Sciences, Bangalore, from February 9th to 11th, 2004. - Presented a scientific paper entitled ‘ p53R2 polymorphisms in human cancers’.
- 52nd National conference of anatomical Society of India – 2004 held at Osmania & Gandhi Medical College Hyderabad from 27th to 30th December 2004.
- Preconference CME on 27th Dec 2004
- Imagology & Neuroanatomy.
- Authored a scientific papers entitled ‘ Under the scanner
- Thyroglossal duct cyst’.
- ‘Clinical and Cytogenetic analysis of Hypospadias’.
- 51st Annual National Conference of IAPM (APCON 2002) held at Science City, Kolkata from December 10th to 15th 2002. - CME on Molecular diagnosis of Haematological Diseases on 10th December 2002.
- Attended 20 CME hours during the conference.
- Presented a scientific paper titled ‘Alterations in p16INK4A methylation in Oral cancers’.
- 49th National conference of anatomical Society of India – 2001 held at Kasturba Medical College Manipal from 28th to 30th December 2001.
- Pre-conference CME on 27th Dec 2001 - Teaching, Learning and Evaluation. Authored a scientific papers entitled ‘ Partial XY sex reversal associated with terminal deletion 10q-A case report.’
- Attended conferences, symposiums and workshops in various capacity including resource person and as member of organizing committees. Attended semesterly workshops at MUA, Nevis since 2007 which aid towards ongoing medical education in teaching, learning and evaluation.
- International Conference on Public Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bengaluru, 2015 and 2016. 2
- 5th International Update Hands- on workshop on Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery at KMC Manipal, 4th to 6th November 2004 as faculty member.
- Moving Academy of Medicine and Biomedicine, ICMR and Kasturba Medical College, Manipal sponsored workshop for medical students on “Human Genetics” on 5th and 6th May 2006 as part of the Organizing Committee
- Indo-Australian Symposium on Pharmacogenomics. Co-Sponsored by Australian Education International, Australian High Commission & Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal TIFAC-CORE in Pharmacogenomics on 10th March, 2006. Guided the paper “DNA repair gene p53R2 – polymorphism” presented as poster by Ms Shreya Ghosh (M. Sc. Biotechnology 1st year student).
- International Conference on Physical Education and Sports Sciences, at MAHE, Manipal from 28th to 30th April 2006 as part of the Organizing Committee.
- ‘Indo- Australian Conference on Biotechnology and Infectious Diseases’ at MAHE, Manipal, from 1st to 3rd March 2005, as part of Organizing Committee.
- One day workshop on “Ethical review for protection of human subjects in research” conducted by Indian Council of Medical Research on 13th August 2005 at KMC Hospital, Manipal
- 5th International Update Hands- on workshop on Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery at KMC Manipal, 4th to 6th November 2004 as faculty member
- 4th International Update Hands- on workshop on Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery at KMC Manipal, 11th to 13th October 2002 as faculty member.