Professor of Physiology
Dr Pinkesh Rao, MD, MBBS, is a Professor and Head of Physiology and Course director of System and Disease II Course at Medical University of The Americas (MUA), Nevis. He is also the site coordinator and instructor of Basic Life Support (BLS) for providers program of American Heart Association (AHA) in St Kitts and Nevis.
Dr Rao is one of the most senior and committed faculty of MUA who joined MUA as an Associate professor of physiology in July 2009. During his decade+ long tenure at MUA, he has championed the art of medical teaching by smart use of innovative technologies like Microsoft office, Moodle (Learning Management System), Panopto (Audio-video content management system), TurningPoint (Audience Response System), Examplify (Assessment program), Zoom (Video-conferencing for distant education) and modern methods of medical education like PBL (problem-based learning), Blended learning (with use of Osmosis), Small group activities with active learning to enrich student’s knowledge, skills and understanding. He is one of very few expert faculties who worked extensively in curricular change and development exercises of conventional discipline-based curriculum to recently developed organ-system based curriculum at MUA. Dr Rao is committed to student success and well being throughout their medical school training and is always available for support, help and guidance around any academic or non-academic issues that arise.
Dr Rao is a member of various prestigious professional bodies in the field of physiology, medical teaching and medicine like the American Physiological Society, the Association for Medical Education in Europe, the International Association of Medical Science Educators, the American Heart Association, the Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India, and Indian Medical Association.
He is a local representative in Nevis of the High Commission of India.
- Teaching medical physiology and clinical sciences
- Teaching small-groups, and offering student-centred education through active learning, team-based learning and flipped classrooms
- Competency driven Curriculum development with vertical and horizontal integration
- Smart use of technology in medical education
Awarded as “Outstanding professor” for superior teaching and commitment to quality medical education at many times by students as well as administration.
Won the best paper presentation prize for “Study of obesity in school children” at 1st academic meets of APPI, Ahmedabad chapter (India). Sept., 2007.
Won the best poster presentation prize for “Effects of examination stress in cardiac autonomic functions” at 4th Annual state conference of APPI, Jamnagar. Feb., 2006.
- “Assessment of oxidative stress and antioxidant status in patients of acute renal failure with sepsis”. Published in World Journal Of Pharmaceutical Research 2015; 4(5): 1457-1464
- “Prevalence and progression of refractive errors among medical students.” Published in IJPP 2012; 56 (3)
- “Late sleeping affects sleep duration and body mass index in adolescents”. Published in Iran J Med Sci 2010; 35(1): 57-60
- “Assessment of obesity in schoolchildren.” Published in Calicut Medical journal 2008:6(3):e2
- Innovations in Medical Education
- Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Sleep Physiology
- Cardiovascular and exercise physiology
- Workshop on “Autonomic Functions Tests” at 52nd Annual national conference of APPI, SMIMER, Surat. Dec., 2006.
- Symposium on “Lysosomal Storage Disorders: Helping patients with rare genetic diseases”; jointly organized by Gujarat Cancer & Research Institute, Ahmedabad and GENZYME CEE Gmbh, Germany. July, 2007.
- Workshop and training on “EEG and Epilepsy” at All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Dept. of Neurosciences, New Delhi (India). August, 2008.
- Workshop on “Scientific Writing for Medical Professionals” Organized by TN Medical College & BYL Nair Ch. Hospital, British Medical Journal (BMJ) & Indian Society for Clinical Research, Mumbai (India). Nov., 2008
- Workshop on Evaluation Methodology in Medical Teaching Organized by Dept. of Physiology and Govt. Medical College, Bhavnagar (India). Jan 2009 (Member of Organizing Committee)
- Training on ‘Interpretation of EKGs’ Organized by Apollo Hospital, Ahmedabad (India). Jan., 2012
- Workshop and training on “Spirometry and PFTs” Organized by Smt. NHL Municipal Medical College and V S Hospital, Ahmedabad (India). May 2014.
- Workshop on “Yoga – An Art for Healthy Life” Organized by “Arbindo Ashram – A Center for Yoga and Meditation” and SSG Hospital, Vadodara (India). Dec., 2016.
- Instructor training for Basic Life Support for Providers by American Heart Association, at Medical University of The Americas (MUA), Nevis. March 2019.
- Attended series of webinars on – The Obesity Epidemic from American Physiological Society; started from June 10, 2020.
- Attended webinar series on – Physiology Educators Community of Practice from American Physiological Society; started from July 23, 2020.