Associate Dean of Basic Sciences | Professor and Chair of PreClinical Medicine
Ralph Crum is a highly dedicated and team-oriented physician with over 30 years of experience both in the practice of trauma surgery and critical care, and as an administrated leader. He has been a motivational guide who has had extensive involvement in mentoring and training medical students, residents and professors.
- M.D., Creighton University Medical School, Omaha, NE, May, 1983
- B.S. Zoology, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY, May, 1979 RESIDENCY UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SAN DIEGO General Surgery, Jun 1983-Jun 1990
PHYSIOLOGY: BURN/TRAUMA AND TRANSPLANTATION
Professor Marvin Brown, M.D.
SALK Institute, La Jolla, CA; July 1996-Jun 1998 · Fellowship-in-training under the division of Trauma and Critical Care.
Basic science research in peptide biology. Investigated hormonal responses to stress and injury.
Objective: the creation of research protocols to study and correlate stress of injury with hormonal response, cardiovascular and renal function, fluid balance, and electrolytes, from the point of admissions to recovery.
Award: Grant from the San Diego Burn Association
American Society for Bariatric Surgery, 2002
Association for the Advancement of Wound Care, 1997
American College of Surgeons, Associate Fellow, 1991
American Medical Association, 1982
Connecticut (032342), 1992 · New York, (MD182 982-1), 1990 · California, (MD g054777), 1984
- San Diego Burn Association, Neuro-hormonal Response to Burn Injury, $10,000
- Malcolm S. Beinfeld Award for Outstanding Clinical Instruction, Norwalk Hospital/Yale, New Haven, CT, Aug 1993 and 2002
- Distinguished Service Award from City of Norwalk for Surgical Trauma, May 1999
- Crum RL, Moosa AR. 1994. Ch. 11: Colonic Obstruction. In Operative Colorectal Surgery. George E. Block. WB. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA.
- Crum RL, Bronsther O, Dominic W, Ward D, Fernandez R, Brown MR. 1991. Neuroendocrinology of Chronic Renal Failure and Renal Transplantation. Transplantation, vol. 52:818-823.
- Scott N., Michel M, Boublik J, Rivier J, Motomura S, Crum RL, Landon M, Brown M. 1990. I, Distinction of NPY Receptor Subtypes In Vitro and In Vivo; II. Differential Hemodynamic Effects of NPY and NPY 18-36. AM J Physiology, 259 (1pt2): H174-80.
- Crum RL, Dominic W, Norton C, Hansbrough J, Shackford SR, Brown MR. 1990. Cardiovascular and Neurohumoral Response Following Burn Injury. Archives of Surgery, 125(8): 1065-9.
- Brown MR, Scott NA, Boublik J, Allen RS, Ehlers R, Lanon M, Crum RL, Ward D, Bronsther 0, Maisel A, Rivier J. 1990. Neuropeptide Y: Biological and Clinical Studies; Nobel Conference on NPY. V. Mutt, K. Fuxte, T. I-Iokfelt. Raven Press, New York.
- Brown MR, Mortrud M, Crum RL, Sawchenko P, 1988. Role of Somatostatin in the Regulation of Vasopressin Secretion. Brain Research. 452:212-218.
- Crum RL, Bobrow B, Shackford SR, Hansbrough J, Brown MR. 1988. The Neurohumoral Response to Burn Injury in Patients Resuscitated with Hypertonic Saline. J Trauma. 28(8):1181 - 1187.
- Crum RL, Brown MR. 1988. Effect of Morphine and Opiate Peptides on Plasma Levels of Atrial Natriuretic Peptide. Life Sciences. 43(10):851-858.
- Rockman HA, Crum RL, Polikar R, Knowlton K, Book Binder M, Brown MR, Nicod P. 1988. Effect of Balloon Valvuloplasty on the Release of Vasoactive Hormones in Man. Abstract. American Heart Association 61st Scientific Session, Washington, D.C.
- Crum RL, Bronsther 0, Dominic W, Ward D, Fernandez R, Brown MR. 1988. Neuroendocrinology of Chronic Renal Failure (CRF) and Renal Transplantation (RT). Surgical Forum, Volume XXXIX. 1988 Clinical Congress, Chicago, IL (Abstract).
- Brown MR, Crum RL, Sawchenko P. 1988. Somatostatin - 28 (SS-28) Stimulation of Vasopressin (AVP) and Oxytocin (OT) Secretion. 70th Annual Endocrine Society Meeting, New Orleans, LA (Abstract).
- Crum RL, Allen R, Scott NA, Ehlers R, Vard D, Bronsther 0, Hansbrough J, Rivier JE, Boublik J, Maisel A, Rockman H, Nicod P, Brown R. 1988. Neuropeptide Y (NPY): Measurements in Human Plasma. 70th Annual Endocrine Society Meeting, New Orleans, LA (Abstract).
- Crum RL, Brown MR, Norton C. Hansbrough J, Shackford SR. 1988. Cardiac Performance and the Neurohumoral Response Following Burn Injury. American Burn Association Convention, Seattle, WA (Abstract).
- Crum RL, Brown MR, Norton C. Hansbrough J, Shackford SR. 1988. Characterization of the Neurohumoral Response for 15 Days Following Burn Injury. American Burn Association Convention, Seattle, WA (Abstract).
- Crum RL, Bobrow B, Shackford SR., Hansbrough J. Brown M. 1987. Characterization of the Neurohumoral Response to Burn Injury. 73rd Annual Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons, San Francisco, CA (Abstract).
- Crum RL, Hansbrough JF, Field TO, Norton C, Dominic W. 1987. Hypertonic Saline for Resuscitation of Adult Burn Patients: A Randomized Prospective Study. Geneva Congress on Burns, Geneva, Switzerland (Abstract).
- Crum RL, Bobrow B, Hansbrough J, Brown, Norton C. 1987. Neurohumoral Regulators in Burn Injury. Geneva Congress on Burns, Geneva, Switzerland (Abstract).
- Hansbrough JF, Field TD, Dominin W, Gadd MA, Crum RL. 1987. Burns: Critical Decisions. Problems in Critical Care: Trauma. Volume 1. Number 4, 1987. J.B.Lippincott, Co., Philadelphia, PA.
- Neuroendocrinology of chronic renal failure and transplantation, 1988
- Neuroendocrine response to trauma and burn injury, 1986-1987
- Postoperative Nutrition and Supplements Following Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass. Oct. 2014. Norwalk Hospital, Norwalk, CT.
- Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass: Operative Technique. Oct 2003. Norwalk Hospital, Norwalk, CT.
- History of Bariatric Surgery. Oct 2002. Norwalk Hospital. Norwalk, CT.
- Evolution of Methicillin Resistant Staph and Strep – The use of Zyvox and Vancomycin. Nov 2001. Norwalk Hospital. Norwalk, CT.
- Antibiotic therapy for Post-Operative Wound Infections. Mar 2001. Norwalk Hospital, Norwalk.
- Large Bowel Obstruction, Volvulus, Diverticulitis and Colon Cancer. Oct 1999. Norwalk Hospital, Norwalk, CT.
- Streptococcal Necrotizing Fasciitis: Symposium on Advance Wound Care. Apr 1997. New Orleans, LA.
- Hyperbaric Medicine: A Pathophysiologic Approach. October 1996. Norwalk Hospital, Norwalk, CT.
- Neuropeptide Y (NPY): Measurement in Human Plasma. Jun 1988. 70th Annual Endocrine Society Meeting. New Orleans, LA.
- Cardiac Performance and the Neurohumoral Response to Burn Injury. March 1988. American Burn Association Convention. Seattle, WA.
- Comparison of Hypertonic Saline and Lactated Ringers Resuscitation in Burn Injury. Jun 1987. Geneva Congress on Burns. Geneva, Switzerland.
- Neurohumoral Regulators in Burn Injury. Jun 1987. Geneva Congress on Burns, Geneva, Switzerland.