MBBS, MS (Master of Surgery-Anatomy)
Professor of Anatomy and Neuroscience | Course Director, Human Body Structure and Function | Co-Chair Promotions Committee
Dr Anadkat graduated from Baroda Medical College, M. S. University in 1994. After completing a one-year internship, he joined the same medical school as a junior lecturer in anatomy. While teaching first-year medical students, he completed his postgraduate training and earned a Master of Surgery degree from M. S. University.
He shifted to the Medical University of Americas in 2002 and has served as a faculty member teaching various courses of Gross Anatomy, Histology, Embryology, Neuroscience, Foundation of Clinical Medicine, Research Literature Review & Analysis, as well as various Systems and Diseases courses. He has also been a course director and chair of anatomy. During his tenure, he has served as assistant dean of basic science, dean of students, chair of the curriculum committee as well as executive chief proctor of NBME.
Over the years he has been in leadership teams where he has helped with the curricular development process which works towards the development of learning objectives as per NBME guidelines. He has also worked on clinical correlations of basic sciences, horizontal and vertical integration, developing case-based teaching, competency-based curriculums and transitioning pure discipline-based curriculums to an organ system-based curriculum.
Combining traditional teaching with more modern pedagogy (like active learning, flip classroom, peer teaching, small group and case-based/problem-based learning) is his main strength. He is well versed in using modern technology in teaching including, PowerPoint, electronic whiteboard, Moodle (learning management system), Panopto (audio recording with video screen capture), Questionmark Live, audience response systems and online teaching utilizing platforms like Zoom.
In addition to academic medicine, he has also worked as a clinician and has a special interest in lifestyle medicine and mind-body medicine in the treatment of non-communicable chronic diseases. He has also earned a fellowship in diabetes and multiple certifications in professional training programs in mind-body medicine.
- Human Body Structure and Function,
- Systems and Diseases,
- Foundation of Clinical Medicine
- Indian Medical Association: Life member
- American Association of Anatomist: member
- Active learning and student-centered learning approaches
- Curriculum development, integrated curriculum, competency-based curriculum
- Mind-body medicine, lifestyle modification
Recognition as “Outstanding professor” for superior teaching and commitment to quality medical education at various times by students as well as administration.
- Dave M., Yagain V., Anadkat S., (2013) A Study of the Anatomical Variations in the Position of the Greater Palatine Foramen in Adult Human Skulls and its Clinical Significance. Int. J. Morphol., 31(2):578-583, 2013.
- Yagain V., Dave M., Anadkat S., (2012) Significance of variations in the interconnection between flexor digitorum longus and flexor hallucis longus of the lower limb.
- Dave M., Yagain V., Anadkat S., (2012) Unilateral Third/Accessory Head of the Gastrocnemius Muscle: a Case Report. Int. J. Morphol. 30(3):1061-1064, 2012.
- Yagain V., Dave M., Anadkat S., (2012) Unilateral high origin of radial artery from axillary artery - Folia morphologica 71(2):121-4 · May 2012
- Mitesh R Dave, Vaishali Kiran Yagain and Samir Anadkat (2012) Unilateral high origin of ulnar artery with variant bifurcation of brachial artery: a case report Int J Anat Var (IJAV). 2012; 5: 65–67.
Pedagogical research in academic medicine
- EB 2019 Experimental Biology Annual Conference jointly organized with American Association of Anatomists (April 2019)
- National Conference of Indian Medical Association, Ahmedabad, India (Dec 2014)
- International Conference on Basic and Applied Physiology, Ahmedabad, India (Dec 2012)
- Revolutionary Practice of Mind Body Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston (June 2011)
- Professional Training program: Mind Body Medicine, Berkley, California (Feb 2006)