Uttam Shrestha, M.Sc, Ph.D
PhD (Human Anatomy)
Born in Kathmandu, Nepal, Dr. Uttam Shrestha received his PhD degree in Human Anatomy from the Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, India, in 2015. He then graduated in Human Anatomy from B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Nepal, in 2007.
He has extensive experience in teaching anatomy in various medical colleges including the Universal College of Medical Sciences, Bhairahawa, Nepal; Institute of Medicine, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India and Patan Academy of Health Sciences, Lalitpur, Nepal; he has been teaching this curriculum for more than ten years. He has also worked as a coordinator of problem-based learning in medical sciences and was involved in providing training and developing the curriculum in many medical schools. Currently, he is Associate Professor in Human Body Structure and Function at Medical University of Americas, Nevis, St. Kitts and Nevis, West Indies.
- Teachers training on helping students learn better; Medical Education Department, Institute of Medicine, Tribhuvan University, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu: 7 – 12 June 2009.
- PBL Tutor Training Workshop, Faculty Development Committee, Patan Academy of Health Sciences, Lalitpur: 4 – 5 January 2015.
- Molecular Advancement in Neurobiology, School of Neuroscience, International Brain Research Organization, Asia-Pacific Regional Committee, DBT-BHU Interdisciplinary School of Life Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India: 5 – 10 September 2015
- . “PBL Tutoring workshop” organized by Faculty Development Committee (PAHS); 9 May 2016.
- Human Body Structure and Function,
- Systems & Diseases II
- Systems & Diseases III
- Foundations of Clinical Medicine
- Human anatomy, embryology and cytogenetics 2
- Problem-based learning
- Embalming and dissection of cadaver
- Histomorphometry and immunohistochemistry
- Shrestha U, Bhattacharya S, Bhatta NK, Jha CB. Cytogenetic analysis of children with suspected genetic disorder. Kathmandu University Medical Journal 2009; 7(1): 40-43.
- Shrestha O, Bhattacharya S, Jha N, Dhungel S, Jha CB, Shrestha U. Cranio facial anthropometric measurements among Rai and Limbu community of Sunsari District, Nepal. Nepal Medical College Journal 2009; 11(3): 183-185.
- Baral P, Vijayabhaskar P, Roy S, Kumar S, Ghimire S, Shrestha U. Multiple arterial anomalies in upper limb. Kathmandu University Medical Journal 2009; 7(3): 293-297.
- Shrestha U, Singh M. Effect of folic acid in prenatal alcohol induced behavioral impairments in Swiss albino mice. Annals of Neurosciences. 20(4); 2013: 134-138. 5. Shrestha U, Singh M. Effect of alcohol and folic acid on pregnancy outcome of Swiss albino mice. International Journal of Therapeutic Application.12; 2013:16-22.
- Mishra A, Shrestha S, Singh M, Shrestha U. A rare case of hypogastric omphalocoele with sacral meningocoele. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences 2013; 2 (35): 6762-65.
- Mishra A, Singh M, Shrestha S, Shrestha U, Kumari A. Prenatal efavirenz induced behavioral changes in Swiss albino mice. International Journal of Therapeutic Applications 2013; 11: 5-8.
- Mishra A, Singh M, Shrestha S, Shrestah U, Nayak A, Kumari A. Cognitive changes induced by prenatal exposure to efavirenz in Swiss albino mice. International Journal of Therapeutic Applications 2013; 12: 36-38.
- Kumari A, Singh M, Mishra A, Shrestha S, Shrestha U. Desvenlafaxine induced congenital malformations in Swiss albino mice. International Journal of Therapeutic Applications 2013; 14; 11-15.
- Rastogi SS, Singh M, Shrestha U. Cisplatin induced reproductive toxicity and its modulation by andrographis peniculata in Swiss albino mice. International Journal of Therapeutic Applications 2014; 15: 12-17.
- Kumari A, Singh M, Trigunayat A, Mishra A, Shrestha S, Shrestha U. Prenatal desvenlafaxine induced behavioral alterations in Swiss albino mice. Annals of Neurosciences 2014; 21(1):19-21.
- Shrestha S, Singh M, Shrestha U, Mishra A. Palliative effect of piracetam on valproate induced liver injury. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences 2014; 5(3): 260-67.
- Rastogi SS, Singh M, Kumar M, Mishra A, Shrestha U. Hepatoprotective action of andrographis peniculata against cisplatin induced toxicity in mice: A histological study. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences 2014; 5(4): 1242-50.
- Shrestha U, Mishra A, Shrestha S, Kumari A, Shrestha O, Singh M. Folic acid ameliorates prenatal alcohol induced bone malformations in mice fetuses. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences. 2016; 7(1): 1277-1281
- Shakya T, Jha CB, Koirala S, Ghimire A, Pandey N, Baral D, Shakya N, Shrestha U. Comparison of Stunting and Thinness among Early Adolescents from Government and Private Schools of Dharan, Nepal. International Journal of Health Sciences & Research 2016; 6(11): 214-21.
Cytogenetics, Embryology, Neuroscience and behavior
- Third National Summit of Health and Population Scientists in Nepal-2017. Maitighar, Kathmandu; Organized by Nepal Health Research Council: 11-12 April 2017.
- 60th National Conference of Anatomical Society of India-2012, SCB Medical College, Cuttack, Odisha, India, 26-29 December 2012.
- Nervecon-2010 under the Banner of Indian Association for Peripheral Nerve Surgery, Universal College of Medical Sciences, Bhairahawa, Nepal, 14 -15 November 2010.
- National Seminar on Teratology and Genetic Disorders, Institute of Medical Sciences, B.H.U. Varansi, India. 2008.
- Fifth National Conference in Science and Technology. Nepal Academy of Science and Technology (NAST). Kathmandu, Nepal; 10-12 November 2008.
- Seventh Biennial Conference; Indian Association for Peripheral Nerve Surgery; UCMS Teaching Hospital, Bhairahawa, Nepal; 18-19 November 2008.
- 13th Annual Celebration, Scientific Program, B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal. 11 September 2006. 8. 12th Annual Celebration, Scientific Program, B.P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan, Nepal. 11 September 2005.
- Fourth National Conference in Science and Technology. Royal Nepal Academy of Science and Technology (RONAST). 23-26 March 2004. Role of students in research activities. MISAN, Central Department of Microbiology, Tribhuvan University, Kirtipur, Nepal. 2003