Srinivasan Rangarajan, MBBS, MD
Professor of Pathology and Chair Department of Pathology Physiology
Dr Srinivasan Rangarajan is a Professor of Pathology and has been teaching at MUA, Nevis, since May 2007. He has been the chair of the pathology and physiology division since 2009.
He is involved in teaching cellular pathology, molecular pathology, systemic pathology with special interest in nephropathology, cardiovascular pathology, oncopathology and transplant pathology. He is also actively involved in curriculum planning, implementation and evaluation, apart from faculty, and student mentoring.
Dr Srinivasan Rangarajan obtained his medical degree (MBBS) from Karnatak Medical College and completed his residency (MD) from St. Johns Medical College, Bangalore, in 1999.
He served as a lecturer at St. Johns Medical College, Bangalore, for a year and as an assistant professor and associate professor at Kasturba Medical College, Manipal for seven years before joining MUA. He has been teaching medical students for over 24 years. He is very passionate about medical education and his teaching style includes lecture-style teaching, an integrated systems approach, hybrid teaching and problem-based teaching. Alongside medical students, he has also taught residents, dental and allied health graduates and postgraduate students as well as laboratory technicians. He was actively involved in diagnostic work in anatomic pathology, cytology and haematology. He was in charge of blood banking at Kasturba Medical College Manipal for over six months. His special diagnostic interest was in nephropathology and transplant pathology. He received training in HLA typing and cross-matching at CMC Vellore and established the HLA laboratory facility at Kasturba Medical College Hospital. He was an active member of the team which was involved in development implementation and quality control of the distance education Medical Laboratory graduate program by Manipal University.
He has received many awards in medical education and has published many scientific papers. He is actively involved in mentoring students at MUA in research projects as a part of the RLRA course. With a focus on conceptual and active learning, he tries to create and sustain a dynamic environment that fosters development opportunities for his students and motivates lifelong learning.
- Medical education
- Anatomic pathology
- transplant pathology
- Multiple Teaching excellence awards at MUA, Nevis from 2007 – 2011.
- Guided and Co-authored a scientific paper entitled ‘ Home away from home’ – Unusual presentations of cutaneous lymphomas – a report of 2 cases that was awarded 3rd best presentation at 33rd Annual conference of Karnataka chapter of Indian Association of Pathologists and Microbiologists (KCIAPM – 2005
- Dr.Srinivasan. R and Dr Geetha Krishnanad. Cytological Diagnosis of Metastatic Hepatocellular Carcinoma Presenting As An Orbital Mass: A Case Report. Acta Cytologica 2007; 51( 1) : 83-86
- Dr.Srinivasan.R, Dr. Sridharan K, Dr Geetha Krishnanad et.al. Retroperitoneal Ganglioneuroma with Lymph node metastasis. Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology 2007; 50(1):32-35
- R.Srinivasan, Nachiketa Mohapatra1, Saurabh Malhotra1, Sharath Kumar J Rao Aggressive angiomyxoma presenting as a vulval polyp. Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology Vol 44 ( No.2), 2007:87-89
- Srinivasan R, Mutteswaraiah Y, Bhat Sudha S, et.al.Primary cutaneous diffuse large B-Cell lymphoma Of the upper limb. Indian Journal of Dermatology 2006: 51(2): 125-127. 1.
- Dr.Srinivasan.R, Dr. Ranjini K, Dr Vadhiraja B.M.Primary papillary carcinoma of the thyroglossal duct cyst. Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology 2005:48(2):228-230. BM Vadiraja, R Srinivasan, DJ Fernandes et al. Bronchial associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma with bronchiectasis in a pre-treated tuberculosis patient. Ind J Radiol Imag 2005:15:2 : 225-227. 2.
- Dr.Srinivasan.R, Karuna Ramesh kumar, Mohan L.N. PNET Presenting with Secondary Amenorrhoea. Indian Journal of Gynecologic Oncology 2002 (1): 25-27. 3.
- Srinivasan R, Usha Kini, M.K.Babu, et.al. Malignant pleochromocytoma with cutaneous metastasis presenting with hemolytic anemia and pyrexia of unknown origin. Journal of Association of Physicians of India (JAPI) 2002; 80:731-33. 4.
- Srinivasan.R, K Ramesh kumar; Pathological diagnosis - Calcifying Aponeurotic fibroma. Journal of Applied Medicine 1998; 24 (3): 231.
Medical education – curriculum development and evaluation; Nephropathology and Oncopathology
Interested in furthering medical education research to foster professional values into medical students.
- Invited lecture "Hypertension: An integrated approach to slay the sleeping dragon” at the 1st National symposium on 'Benefits of yoga and Holistic Medicine along with Modern Therapy: An integrated approach’. At St. Lucia – Feb 15-16 2020.
- Presented research papers at several Pathology, cytology and haematology conferences conducted by Indian Association of Pathology and Microbiology, KCIAPM, Indian academy of cytologists and attended workshops conducted by them- 1997-2007
- Works shops: Leadership development workshop, Manipal – 2006; several Medical education workshops at MUA, Nevis, 2007 -2020 and at Manipal University – 2001-2004;
- International Conference on Public Mental Health and Neurosciences – 2014, 2015