MUA has an integrated, systems-based curriculum that parallels the training you would receive at a top U.S. medical school. This curriculum, in concert with our excellent faculty (all of whom have either an MD or a PhD in the field they teach), small class sizes and a focused emphasis on preparing you to become a practicing clinician.
MUA has an integrated, systems-based curriculum that parallels the training you would receive at a top US medical school.
Your clinical education at Medical University of the Americas takes place primarily in the second half of your academic program, during semesters 6 to 10—your final semesters before earning your MD and entering a residency program.
Medical University of the Americas offers a Gateway Medical Program (GMP) on its Nevis campus that is specifically designed to bolster student’s premedical coursework and help ensure a smooth transition into the Doctor of Medicine program.
MUA offers a comprehensive 10-semester program for earning an MD.
The foundation of any medical school curriculum is the five semesters of basic sciences. This part of the MUA curriculum takes place on our campus in Nevis.
At the completion of your basic sciences study, you will take your first—and in some ways your most important—licensing exam, the USMLE Step 1. The clinical staff at MUA will work with you to create an individual academic plan for passing this important exam.
Students then return to the U.S. or Canada to complete five semesters of clinical rotations at teaching hospitals that are affiliated with MUA.
MUA’s medical school curriculum is based on six core competencies that are essential for the successful practice of medicine:
· Patient Care
· Lifelong learning, scholarship & collaboration
· Communication & Interpersonal Skills
· Scientific & Medical Knowledge
· Social & Community context of Healthcare
It’s important to note that these core competencies are consistent with the ACGME competencies for residency programs in the United States and the Can Med competencies for residencies in Canada.
- First Day of Enrollment August 29, 2022
- Orientation & Registration August 29, 2022
- Classes Begin August 30, 2022
- Graduation – no ceremony September 2, 2022
- Tuition Due for Next Semester December 1, 2022
- Last Day of Classes December 7, 2022
- Basic Science Awards Ceremony December 8, 2022
- Reading Day and Final Exams December 7 – 9, 2022
- First Day of Enrollment: January 2, 2023
- Orientation & Registration: January 2, 2023
- Classes Begin: January 3, 2023
- Graduation – No Ceremony: January 6, 2023
- Graduation – No Ceremony: March 17, 2023
- Tuition Due for Next Semester: April 1, 2023
- Last Day of Classes: April 12, 2023
- Basic Science Awards Ceremony: April 13, 2023
- Reading Day and Final Exams: April 12 – 14, 2023
- First Day of Enrollment: May 1, 2023
- Orientation & Registration: May 1, 2023
- Classes Begin: May 2, 2023
- Graduation: May 19, 2023
- Commencement: TBD
- Tuition Due for Next Semester: August 1, 2023
- Last Day of Classes: August 9, 2022
- Basic Science Awards Ceremony: August 10, 2023
- Reading Day and Final Exams: August 9 – 11, 2023