MUA has an integrated, systems-based curriculum that parallels the training you would receive at a top U.S. medical school. This curriculum, in concert with our excellent faculty (all of whom have either an MD or a PhD in the field they teach), small class sizes and a focused emphasis on preparing you to become a practicing clinician.
MUA has an integrated, systems-based curriculum that parallels the training you would receive at a top US medical school.
Your clinical education at Medical University of the Americas takes place primarily in the second half of your academic program, during semesters 6 to 10—your final semesters before earning your MD and entering a residency program.
Medical University of the Americas offers a Gateway Medical Program (GMP) on its Nevis campus that is specifically designed to bolster student’s pre-medical coursework and help ensure a smooth transition into the Doctor of Medicine program.
MUA offers a comprehensive 10-semester program for earning an MD.
The foundation of any medical school curriculum is the five semesters of basic sciences. This part of the MUA curriculum takes place on our campus in Nevis.
At the completion of your basic sciences study, you will take your first—and in some ways your most important—licensing exam, the USMLE Step 1. The clinical staff at MUA will work with you to create an individual academic plan for passing this important exam.
Students then return to the U.S. or Canada to complete five semesters of clinical rotations at teaching hospitals that are affiliated with MUA.
MUA’s medical school curriculum is based on six core competencies that are essential for the successful practice of medicine:
· Patient Care
· Lifelong learning, scholarship & collaboration
· Communication & Interpersonal Skills
· Scientific & Medical Knowledge
· Social & Community context of Healthcare
It’s important to note that these core competencies are consistent with the ACGME competencies for residency programs in the United States and the Can Med competencies for residencies in Canada.
- First Day of Enrollment January 3, 2022
- Orientation & Registration January 3, 2022
- Classes Begin January 4, 2022
- Graduation – no ceremony January 7, 2022
- Graduation – no ceremony March 18, 2022
- Tuition Due for Next Semester April 1, 2022
- Last Day of Classes April 13, 2022
- Basic Science Awards Ceremony April 14, 2022
- Reading Day and Final Exams April 13 – 15, 2022
- First Day of Enrollment May 2, 2022
- Orientation & Registration May 2, 2022
- Classes Begin May 3, 2022
- Graduation May 20, 2022
- Commencement TBD
- Tuition Due for Next Semester August 1, 2022
- Last Day of Classes August 10, 2022
- Basic Science Awards Ceremony August 11, 2022
- Reading Day and Final Exams August 10 – 12, 2022
- First Day of Enrollment August 29, 2022
- Orientation & Registration August 29, 2022
- Classes Begin August 30, 2022
- Graduation – no ceremony September 2, 2022
- Tuition Due for Next Semester December 1, 2022
- Last Day of Classes December 7, 2022
- Basic Science Awards Ceremony December 8, 2022
- Reading Day and Final Exams December 7 – 9, 2022